Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Chocolate Yogurt Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Makes Slices
Simple and versatile Chocolate Cake with infinate variations
- 150ml oil (not olive or vegetable)
- 150ml natural yogurt ( I use Fat-free Greek)
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 3 eggs
- 175g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- STEP 1Heat oven to 180C (160C for fan)
- STEP 2Line a large loaf tin with baking parchment
- STEP 3In a large bowl, beat together the oil, yogurt, syrup, eggs and sugar
- STEP 4Sift the flour, cococa, baking powder and salt into the bowl, and stir until smooth
- STEP 5Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for around 1- 1 1/4 hours
- STEP 6If the cake colours too quickly, cover with foil after 30 minutes cooking.
- STEP 7Test with a skewer - do not overcook
- STEP 8VARIATIONS.
- STEP 9The recipe can be turned into a coconut cake by replacing the cocoa with dessicated coconut. Ginger cake can be made by replacing the cocoa with extra flour, use brown sugar instead of caster and treacle instead of syrup and add 2 teaspoons of ground ginger and 1/2 of mixed spice.