- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Makes 30 strands
I have made these many time's for my lemon meringue pie and they complement it very well. The lemons aren't too sharp or too sweet.
- 2 lemons
- 70g caster sugar
- 200ml water
- 50g granulated sugar
- STEP 1Use a zester to remove the rind from lemons in long strands, or alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to remove skin. Or you can cut around the lemon to get a spring like effect.
- STEP 2Line a baking tray or a plate with baking paper and sprinkle on some granulated sugar. Then set aside, ready for placing the lemons on.
- STEP 3Add the lemons, water and sugar into a saucepan and place over a medium heat, stirring, until all of the sugar has dissolved. Bring it to the boil and reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- STEP 4Remove the pan from the heat and use a fork to scrape out the lemon zest onto the baking tray or plate lined with baking paper and sugar. Spread the lemons evenly and turn them over so that they get an even coating of sugar.
- STEP 5Leave to stand for 5 minutes and then they will be ready to use.