Potato Leek & Emmental Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
Warming winter soup
- 200g smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 500g potatoes, roughly chopped
- 500g leeks, trimmed and chopped
- 900ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 25g butter
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 100g Emmental cheese, grated
- STEP 1Fry the bacon in a large pan over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, leeks, stock, marjoram, thyme and nutmeg. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- STEP 2Meanwhile, in a small pan, cook the onion in the butter over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the sugar and allow the onion to caramelize, this may take a few minutes.
- STEP 3In a food processor, puree the bacon and vegetables, in batches, until smooth. Return the soup to the pan, and stir in 150ml boiling water.
- STEP 4Ladle the soup into bowls, top each with grated Emmental, some caramelised onions and serve with warm crusty bread.