Indonesian lazy chillies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Makes Jar
This is called sambal oelek in Indonesia. Store in your fridge and use where chillies are needed in your recipes. Will last for months in the fridge!
- 200g small red chillies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- STEP 1Remove chilli stalks and discard.
- STEP 2TOP TIP - wear rubber gloves when handling chillies to avoid any contact with your skin.
- STEP 3Chop chillies roughly with a knife, or cut with kitchen scissors.
- STEP 4Place chopped chillies in a saucepan, add the water and bring to a boil.
- STEP 5Reduce to low heat and gently simmer for fifteen minutes.
- STEP 6Pour chillies into a food processor. Add salt, sugar, vinegar and oil. Blend until finely chopped.
- STEP 7Allow to cool, then transfer the paste into a small clean steralised glass jar with a non-metalic lid.
- STEP 8Store in your fridge.