Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Spicy Vegetable Tagine
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
Delicious Mediterranean menu
- 1 sweet potato (about 300g/10½oz), peeled and cut into roughly 2cm/¾in chunks
- 1 aubergine, cut into roughly 2.5cm/1in chunks
- 2 courgettes, sliced into 2cm/¾in half-moons
- 1 red pepper cut into roughly 2.5cm/1in chunks
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 100g/3½oz dried apricots, halved
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- handful chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Couscous or rice to accompany the Tagine
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5.
- STEP 2Mix the sweet potato, aubergine, courgette and red pepper in a large bowl. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons of the oil and mix to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- STEP 3Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a high heat. WHEN the pan is HOT, add the vegetables in batches. Fry, stirring and turning regularly, for 3-4 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- STEP 4Heat the remaining oil in a lidded casserole over a medium heat. Add the onions and fry for 3-5 minutes, stirring regularly, until softened. Add the garlic, coriander and cumin and fry for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- STEP 5Stir in the chopped tomatoes, harissa paste, honey, apricots and chickpeas until well combined. Add the vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- STEP 6Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 30 minutes, then stir in 200ml/7fl oz cold water until well combined and return to the oven, covered, for a further 15 minutes, or until the tagine is thick and the vegetables are tender.
- STEP 7Sprinkle the tagine with the chopped coriander and serve with freshly cooked couscous or rice.