Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Authentic Dhal Curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 4 servings
This is a beautiful dhal recipe you will love making over and over again. It is perfect with homemade roti, yogurt and coriander.
- 60 grams ghee or butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbls coriander powder
- 5cm cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1.5 cups yellow split peas (rinse thoroughly)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbls tomato paste
- STEP 1Heat ghee or butter in saucepan and gently fry onion and garlic until cooked through.
- STEP 2Add spices and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- STEP 3Add yellow split peas, water, tomato paste and salt or taste. Simmer covered for 1 hour. Remove cinnamon stick and use a stick blender to blend 80% of the split peas. Serve warm. Enjoy!