Carrot and Ginger Soup (Slow Cooker)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 5
Gently warming carrot and ginger soup with red lentils. Easy to prepare, put in to the slow cooker and forget for a while. I like using cups for measuring rather the scales when I can - it makes it simpler in my eyes, and don't get too hung up on the exact proportions in this recipe, it is all the better for the odd change here and there (add some chili flakes for more kick for instance).
- 1large Onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh root ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 600g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup red lentils, well rinced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 2 cups of vegetable broth (2 stock cubes to 2 cups of water)
- STEP 1Peel and chop the carrots - don't worry too much about how you chop them, we are going to blend the soup later.
- STEP 2Place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and pour in the boiling water and broth.
- STEP 3Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 4 to 5 hours.
- STEP 4Use a hand held blender to blend to soup to the consistency that you like.
- STEP 5Serve hot with greens if desired or a nice piece of bread.