Member recipe by bc
A North-African vegetable soup, traditionally used to break the fast during Ramadhan.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into pieces
- 1 courgette, cut into pieces
- 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 small potato, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp lentils
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 7 cups of stock
- 2 tbsp bulghur (cracked wheat)
- 1/3 can chick peas
- large handful or chopped coriander
- lemon wedges
- Fry onion in oil until beginning to soften then add garlic, cooking for a few minutes more.
- Add cinnamon, turmeric, ground coriander and ginger, cooking for 2 minutes then add carrot, courgette, tomatoes, potato, lentils and stock. Bring to boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly then liquidize and return to pan.
- Bring back to simmer, add chick peas, burghul and chopped coriander and cook for 3 minutes.
- To serve, squeeze in lemon juice and stir.