Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 6
Friends tell me this is one of the best chilli recipes around.
- 2 Sweet Red Peppers
- 3-20 red or green chillies
- 2 large onions
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs (680 grams) of chuck steak or mince
- 2 teaspoons of soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon of paprika
- 140z (400 grams) of chopped tomatoes
- Fresh coriander
- 2 tins of kidney beans.
- STEP 1Roast the peppers, chillies, onions and garlic head in a hot oven (200C fan). Remove each when tender inside & slightly charred on the outside.
- STEP 2Peel the roasted vegetables. Puree them and then fry in plenty of olive oil until the paste is dark brown and the oil separates from it
- STEP 3Separately brown the meat in oil with the sugar so that it caramelises.
- STEP 4Add the meat to the vegetable paste together with the oregano, cumin, bay, paprika tomatoes & salt to taste.
- STEP 5Simmer until the beef is tender and the whole thing very thick. Add kidney beans.
- STEP 6Check seasoning and stir in the coriander leaves just before serving.