Chickpea Rice Soup With Cabbage
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
Simple, comforting flavours that are easy to love.
- Olive oil (1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons, however much you want to use)
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh black pepper
- 1/2 cup rice, rinsed (brown rice will cook longer!)
- 1/2 lb carrots, sliced
- 1 lb cabbage, shredded (about 1/4 of a big head)
- 6 cups broth (aprox. 1l)
- 1 24 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill, plus extra for garnish
- STEP 1Preheat a stock pot over medium heat. Saute onion in olive oil with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and saute a minute more.
- STEP 2Add rice, carrots and cabbage and then pour in the broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring down to a simmer, add the chickpeas, and let cook for about 15 more minutes, until rice is cooked and carrot is tender.
- STEP 3Stir in the dill and season with salt and pepper to taste. This definitely tastes better the longer you let it sit, but it can be enjoyed right away, too. Top with extra fresh dill.