Cream of chicken soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
Smooth, delicious cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 (900g) chicken marylands, skin removed
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, halved, washed, chopped
- 50g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup pure cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- STEP 1Place 3 1/2 cups cold water, stock, chicken, onion, celery and leek in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- STEP 2Transfer chicken to a bowl. Cool slightly. Remove and discard bones. Shred meat. Set aside. Strain stock mixture into a large heatproof jug. Discard solids.
- STEP 3Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Gradually stir in stock mixture and cream. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Add chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until soup thickens slightly.
- STEP 4Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve.