Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 8
Delicious moist coconut cake, perfect as a tea time treat!
- 225g/6 oz self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
115g/4 oz butter, cut into small pieces, plus extra for greasing
- 115g/4 oz demerara sugar
100g/3ÃÂ½ oz grated coconut, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp milk
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3. Grease a 900-g/2-lb loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- STEP 2Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- STEP 3Stir in the sugar, coconut, eggs and milk and mix to a soft dropping consistency.
- STEP 4Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface with a palette knife. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- STEP 5Remove the cake from the oven and sprinkle with the extra coconut. Return the cake to the oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes, until well risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- STEP 6Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.