Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus 30 minutes cooling time
- Serves 16
Rich buttery layers of crumbly shortbread, sticky caramel and chocolate - Delicious!
For the shortbread:
- 250g plain flour
- 175g butter or margarine
- 75g caster sugar (or ordinary sugar)
For the Caramel:
- 150g butter or margarine
- 150g brown or white sugar
- 397g can Condensed Milk
- (If you don't have time to make the caramel, just buy Carnation Caramel)
For the chocolate topping:
- 200g milk or plain chocolate
- You will also need...
- 20cm sqaure tin (swiss roll tin is fine too) , lined with baking parchment
- STEP 1Prepare the shortbread base by mixing the flour and sugar in a bowl, then rubbing in the butter to produce a smooth paste-like dough.
- STEP 2Press the dough into a 20cm square tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- STEP 3Prick the dough with a fork and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes. Once baked, leave to cool in the tin while you make the caramel.
- STEP 4Prepare the caramel by melting the butter in a pan. And the sugar and stir until it becomes "sludge-like".
- STEP 5Remove from the heat and stir in the condensed milk. Bring back to the boil and simmer gently, stirring continuously for 8-10 minutes.
- STEP 6Pour the hot caramel onto the shortbread base. Spread it out evenly and then leave to cool completely.
- STEP 7Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water. Pour the chocolate over the caramel and spread it out evenly. Place in the fridge to harden the chocolate and then cut into squares.