Beetroots with Red Peppers
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 4 big jars
Great side dish throughout the year!
- 3 kg beetroots
- 3 red bell peppers, stem and seeds removed
- 3 onions, peeled
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 cup (250 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vinegar
- 3/4 cup (165 g) sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- STEP 1Put the beets in a big pot, pour in water to cover, and simmer for an hour from the moment water has boiled. When done, drain off the water and allow the beets to cool a bit. Peel and grate them coarsely.
- STEP 2Dice peppers and onions.
- STEP 3Mix water, olive oil, vinegar, sugar and salt in a large pot, add peppers and onions, bring to a boil and let simmer for 15 minutes. Add beetroots and boil another 10 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- STEP 4Put the hot beetroots into clean, dry jars. Screw the lids on tightly and immediately set them upside down. Cool completely.