- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Cheesy mash with bacon and tomato - easy comfort food.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 handfuls/about 200g mature cheddar
- 2 handfuls/about 4 tomatoes (or 12 cherry toms)
- 4 rashers back bacon
- 1/2 onion chopped (optional)
- splash of milk
- STEP 1Peel quarter and boil potatoes for 15-20 mins. Put oven on about 180. (Or you can use grill on hot if you prefer)
- STEP 2Meanwhile dice tomatoes, grate cheese, chop bacon - I chop the loin separately and small. I chop the fattier edge into 1cm strips.
- STEP 3If using onion fry it lightly until slightly caramelised.
- STEP 4Mash potato with a little milk. Add half the grated cheese, stir, add half the tomatoes, onion if using and the bacon loin, stir. Put into baking dish. I use one 2 inches deep by 8x8 inches wide. Flatten, top with remaining tomatoes, bacon laid out to cover tomatoes, sprinkle with cheese, then put in oven until cheese melted and bacon crisping up....about 20 mins less if grilling...about 15.
- STEP 5I serve with baked beans (with chilli flakes added for the adults!). Also you can use more/less of pretty much any ingredient depending on your tastes.