Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
My step mum's chilli lentil pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
mmm vegetarian chilli pie my step mum made
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 300g red lentils (pre soaked)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 x 350g jars chilli con carne sauce (recommende D L Jardines Texas Orig Chilli mix)
- 650g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes
- grated mature cheddar
- 1 small can kidney beans
- olive oil for frying
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, stems finely chopped, leaves separate
- STEP 1Fry onion and most of the chillies in olive oil for five minutes over medium heat until softened.
- STEP 2Stir in lentils, ground coriander and coriander stems, cook for another minute. Heat over to 170 degrees (fan) or 190 degrees (non-fan)
- STEP 3Add kidney beans, two jars of sauce, and one jar worth of water. Season to taste and simmer on med-low heat for 15 minutes. Mix in the coriander leaves a few minutes before the end, separating a few for garnish
- STEP 4At the same time boil the sweet potatoes for 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Drain, mash with little butter and milk, season to taste.
- STEP 5Spoon the chilli mix into an oven-proof dish, cover with the potato and cover this with cheese. Bake for 40 minutes until the cheese has melted and bubbling.
- STEP 6Serve with left over coriander leaves and chillies on the side