Ginger tea bread
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 2 hours soaking fruit or overnight
- Serves 12
Low fat recipe from "Diabetes Cooking Book" GF Feb13
- 140g mixed dried fruit
- 325ml hot lemon and ginger tea (made with 2 bags)
- 225g wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100g fructose sugar
- 1 large egg beaten
- STEP 1Place dried fruit in a large bowl pour over tea and soak for 2 hours stirring occasionally. Heat oven to Gas 3 160C/140C fan.
- STEP 2Line the bottom and sides of a 900g loaf tin with baking parchment. Put flour, baking powder, fructose and egg in a food processor or blender for a couple of minutes. Add the dried fruit and tea and blitz again until well mixed.
- STEP 3Spoon the mixture into tin and bake for 40 mins until the cake feels springy in the centre or when a skewer comes out clean. You can check after 20 mins to see if the top is browning to quickly if so cover with foil and continue to cook. Cool in the tin for 5 mins then carefully turn out onto a wire rack.