- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 4
The veal Axoa is a typical Basque recipe (the Basque Country is located in the South West of France). Also called Espelette Axoa, it is a traditional recipe from the South West of France which used to be served on fair days! You will accompany it with a robust wine from the same region such as the Irouleguy AOC or the Madiran AOC. Here is a simple and generic recipe.
- - 1kg (2,2 lbs) of veal shoulder
- - 1 red pepper
- - 1 onion
- - 8 green chili peppers
- - 1 garlic clove
- - Oil
- - Bay leaves, parsley, thyme
- - Salt
- - Strong Espelette pepper
- STEP 1Slice the onion and the garlic thinly
- STEP 2Take off the seeds from the green chili peppers + the red pepper. Dice them.
- STEP 3Brown the whole lot in oil on a pan during 10 minutes.
- STEP 4Add the diced meat, the herbs, salt and the Espelette pepper.
- STEP 5Saute the whole lot during 5mn, add a small glass of water or broth.
- STEP 6Leave it simmer (under cover) during 45 or 60 mn in a boiler.
- STEP 710 minutes before the end of the cooking time, take off the cover.
- STEP 8It is recommended to prepare it the day before.
- STEP 9Simmer again for 10 mn covered and 10 mn uncovered.
- STEP 10Accompany this dish with baked or boiled potatoes.
- STEP 11Little tip : coming from the Basque Country, I found a website with typical products from my region. It is : www.relaisgourmet.com
- STEP 12I found a promotional code on a discount website of -15% for their whole site. The code is : LB15
- STEP 13The website is in English as well. Bon appetit ; )