Cocoa Chilli Chicken
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Chocolate and chilli is a great combination. This is best served with wild rice and salad or some rustic bread.
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken leg portions (cut into thigh and drumstick)
- Juice and zest of 3 oranges
- 3 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried mulato chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 400g tinned tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 150g dark chocolate, broken into pieces (South American chocolate is the best)
- 25g coriander leaves to serve
- STEP 1Preheat the over to Gas Mark 6 (200C).
- STEP 2Saute the shallots and garlic in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- STEP 3Add the chicken pieces and brown them all over.
- STEP 4Add the orange juice and zest, fresh and dried chillies, coriander seeds, tomatoes and sugar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- STEP 5Place the lid on the casserole and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- STEP 6Remove from the oven and take out the chicken pieces. Add the chocolate to the sauce and stir. The chocolate will melt due to the sauce being hot..
- STEP 7Serve the chicken with sauce smothered over it and with a generous garnish of fresh coriander.