Lamb in Pita
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 1 hour of straining time for yogurt
- Makes Portions
Delicious pieces of lamb stuffed in pita bread pockets. Serves with any kind of fruity chutney (I recommend plum!) and enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, (2 of them pressed, 1 chopped finely and kept separate from the other 2)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless lamb sirloin, trimmed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 6-inch-diameter pita breads
- STEP 1Put a strainer over a large bowl and line it with 2 layers of cheesecloth (don't let the strainer touch the bottom of the bowl). Spoon yogurt into strainer and let stand for 1 hour.
- STEP 2Mix yogurt, the 2 pressed cloves of garlic and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- STEP 3Put the lamb pieces into a skillet or pan on medium to high heat on stove top, add coriander cumin and chopped garlic.
- STEP 4Keep on heat until lamb is fully cooked, stirring often. Dispense onto serving dish.
- STEP 5Cut open pita pockets, spoon the lamb into each pita. Add the yogurt and/or chutney and enjoy!