- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Makes Muffins
- "Dry" ingredients
- 120g (1 cup) wholemeal or white flour
- 140g (1 cup) white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sodium bicarbonate
- 1 tsp spices/citrus peel (optional)
- 60-90g (1/2 - 3/4 cup) chopped nuts/raisins/dates/other dried fruit/choc.chips/coconut (optional)
- "Wet" ingredients
- 1 medium egg
- 140g (3/4 cup) brown or white sugar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable/sunflower oil OR
- 125g (1/2 cup) soft butter/marg
- 250g (1 cup) buttermilk/yoghurt/milk/soured cream
- 250g (1 1/2 cup) fruit (fresh or frozen - not defrosted!) (optional)
- STEP 1Take "fridge" ingredients out of fridge. Preheat oven to 180C. Put 12 paper cases in a muffin tray, or 18 into bun trays.
- STEP 2Mix "dry" ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- STEP 3In a larger bowl, beat the egg lightly and then add the rest of the "wet" ingredients, except for fruit.
- STEP 4Stir the dry ingredients carefully into the wet ingredients, until the whole mixture is moist, but still lumpy! Finally, stir the fruit in carefully (if used).
- STEP 5Put in paper cases as fast as possible and bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes.