American style Mac and Cheese
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
An indulgent American style Mac and cheese, great for sharing as a side dish at family gatherings.
- 500g packet macaroni
- 125g butter
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 400g grated cheddar cheese
- 475ml milk
- 400ml double cream
- 4 slices bread, torn into small pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- STEP 1Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and reserve.
- STEP 2Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F)
- STEP 3In a large sauce pan, melt 4 tablespoons butter or margarine over medium heat. Add flour and some ground black pepper to taste; stirring until paste-like consistency.
- STEP 4Add milk to mixture and stir continually until mixture starts to thicken; slowly stir in cheese 1 cup at a time until all cheese is melted.
- STEP 5Add double cream
- STEP 6Pour cheese mixture over macaroni. Mix well and pour into a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- STEP 7Place bread pieces on top of macaroni mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Melt 4 tablespoons butter or margarine and pour over bread.
- STEP 8Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve.