Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
George's cherrynutpan buns
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus 15 mins for cooling time
- More effort
- Makes Muffins
Coconut, gooey marzipan and cherry buns with coconut buttercream icing and cherries to decorate with a jam surprise
For the cherry, marzipan and coconut buns:
- 100g Glace Cherries (chopped)
- 200g Grated Marzipan
- 150g Desiccated Coconut
- 3 eggs
- 150g Butter (soft)
- 110g Caster sugar
- 100g Self raising flour (approximately)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 5 tablespoons (approximately) Jam- strawberry, raspberry or blackberry is best, but other is fine
For the coconut buttercream icing (the amounts may vary depending on how much icing you want):
- 150g (approximately) Butter- soft
- 300g (approximately) Icing sugar- sieved
- 100g (approximately) Coconut
Glace cherries for decoration (halved)
- Glace cherries for decoration (halved)
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 185C or 360F or gas mark 4.
- STEP 2Cream the butter with the caster sugar. Then whisk the egg and add to the butter and sugar and beat together (don't worry if it curdles).
- STEP 3Add the grated marzipan, chopped cherries and coconut and stir in.
- STEP 4Fold in the flour and baking powder, then spoon the mixture into the bun cases and put in the oven as quickly as possible so they rise.
- STEP 5Check them after about 12 minutes and when they are golden brown leave them in the oven but turn the oven off. After 5 minutes remove from the oven and put on a cooling rack.
- STEP 6Once they are cooled use a small spoon or the end of a spoon to take out a little bit of cake from the centre of each bun, then fill the hole that you just made with jam and spread a layer over the surface of the bun.
- STEP 7Next make the icing by creaming butter and icing sugar, the add the coconut- if the mixture is too runny add more icing sugar or coconut, if it's to stiff add some soft butter.
- STEP 8Ether use a piping bag or put a blob of icing on top of each bun and use a warmed knife to swirl it or smooth.
- STEP 9Place the cherry halves on the icing for the decoration.
- STEP 10Eat and enjoy!