Simple easy Madeira Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 1 loaf cake tin
A simple Madeira cake that I make with my 3 year old son. He loves to help and knows this recipe of by heart. I’ve been making this recipe for about the last 20 years. We make this in a food processor.
- 240 grams unsalted butter Or margarine. (Soft)
- 200 grams caster sugar (You’ll need a little more at the end to sprinkle over the cake before baking)
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 medium eggs (you could use 3 large, our chickens lay medium)
- 300 grams of self-raising flour
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 170ºC/150ºC Fan/gas mark 3/325ºF
- STEP 2Cream the butter and sugar, and add the lemon zest and juice
- STEP 3Add the eggs a couple at a time with half of the flour each time
- STEP 4Transfer to a loaf tin (make sure you line and butter it)
- STEP 5Sprinkle a tablespoon of caster sugar over the top before putting it in the oven to bake. Bake for 1hr 15mins or until cake tester comes out clean.