Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Apricot and Cardamom Flapjacks
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Makes Squares
Sweet, chewy and full of oaty goodness, these cardamom-scented flapjacks make a special teatime treat
- 300g rolled oats
- 200g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 150g dried apricots, chopped
- 10 cardamom pods
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C (150 degrees C fan) and line the base of a non-stick 23cm square tin.
- STEP 2Melt the butter, sugar and syrup very gently in a large, heavy-bottomed pan until the sugar crystals have dissolved - 5 minutes or so. Then take the pan off the heat.
- STEP 3Meanwhile, crush the cardamom pods and remove the husks. Grind the seeds into a powder and add this to the pan along with the chopped dried apricots. Let everything soak and infuse for a few minutes before pouring in the oats. Give the mixture a good stir to coat the oats evenly.
- STEP 4Pour the warm, syrupy oats into the brownie tin and press down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- STEP 5Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 mins. The flapjacks are ready when the surface is light and golden and the edges are just starting to brown. Don't be tempted to overcook them as they will lose that essential chewiness.
- STEP 6Let cool completely before turning out and cutting into squares with a sharp knife.