Chicken chow mein
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A classic takeaway favourite that's so easy to make at home!
- 4 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tsp chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 325g egg noodles
- 2 sticks celery
- 175g mushrooms
- 2 carrots
- 100g mange tout
- small bunch of spring onions
- 75g ham
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 75g peeled prawns
- STEP 1Mix the soy sauce, rice wine / dry sherry, chilli sauce, sesame oil and cornflour. Stir in the chicken, cover and marinate for 20 mins.
- STEP 2Put the noodles in a bowl of boiling water and leave for 10 mins.
- STEP 3Trim and slice the celery diagonally. Clean and slice the mushrooms. Peel the carrots and cut into thin matchsticks. Halve the mange tout, trim and chop the spring onions and dice the ham.
- STEP 4Heat half the oil in a wok. Stir-fry the celery and mushrooms for 1 minute stir-fry the carrots, mange tout and spring onions for 2 mins. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- STEP 5Heat the remaining oil in the wok. Add the chicken and marinade and stir-fry for 5 mins. Stir in the noodles, prawns, ham and cooked vegetables. Stir-fry for 2 mins, or until hot. Serve.