Italian Tomatoes au Gratin
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 2
Simple and quick - great with grilled or bbq meats
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, good quality
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs Olive oil
- Pinch dried basil
- Pinch of dried oregano
- 75g Cheese, grated (cheddar or emmental)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- STEP 1Preheat grill to medium/high
- STEP 2Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and garlic without browning, until soft. Drain a little juice from the tomatoes, (you don't want it too moist) then add the tomatoes to the pan along with the herbs and seasoning. Stir gently to warm through.
- STEP 3Tip into a shallow ovenproof dish and top with the grated cheese. Place under the grill until the cheese is melted and then serve immediately.