Chilli con carne
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A very spicy simple low calorie chilli
- 500g lean mince beef
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- Handful of mushrooms
- 6 fresh cherry tomatoes
- 2 scotch bonnet chillis
- 2 table spoons of Encoda hot pepper sauce
- 2 table spoons of lemon juice
- 1/3 tube tomato purée
- 1 table spoon hot chilli powder
- 1 tin of kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- STEP 1Add onions and chopped chillis to a saucepan. Add a splash of water and put on low with the lid on for about 10 min or until the onions are soft but not brown.
- STEP 2Add the mince and stir until browned.
- STEP 3Add the tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, lemon juice, tomato purée, chilli sauce and chilli powder.
- STEP 4Stir and season.
- STEP 5Simmer on low for 30 min with lid on.
- STEP 6Serve with rice and top with grated cheese, if it’s a little spicy I like to add a table spoon of yoghurt.