- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 12 sardines , cleaned, gutted and heads cut off (ask your fishmonger to do this)
- small bunch dill , finely chopped
- small bunch parsley , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers , drained and chopped
- 2 tbsp cornichon , drained and finely chopped
- 8 wooden skewers , soaked in water
- STEP 1
Pour half the lemon juice and 1 tbsp olive oil over the sardines, then rub it into the fish’s cavity and skin. Lay 2-3 sardines (depending on size) side by side and thread a skewer through the tail end and one through the head end, packing them closely together.
- STEP 2
To make the tartare dressing, combine the lemon zest and the rest of the juice and oil with the dill, parsley, capers, cornichons and some seasoning. Set aside.
- STEP 3
Season the sardines really well, then carefully lift them onto a hot barbecue. Cook for 3-4 mins on each side, carefully lifting the skewers to turn them, then transfer to a serving plate. Spoon over a little dressing and serve the rest on the side.