- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Plus rising
- Makes 18
- 250g plain white flour , plus extra for dusting
- 250g white bread flour
- 500g seed and grain bread flour
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 100g porridge oat
- 100g mixed seed , plus extra for sprinkling
- 50g walnut , finely chopped
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g cold butter , diced
- 2 x 284ml pots buttermilk
- 100g grated courgette
- 100g grated carrot
- 100g grated raw beetroot - wear gloves!
- little milk or beaten egg , to glaze
- STEP 1
Dust your largest baking sheet or tray with flour. Mix the flours, yeast, oats, seeds, nuts, bicarbonate and 2 tsp salt in a bowl, then rub in the butter with your fingers until it almost disappears.
- STEP 2
Pour in the buttermilk and 150-200ml water and mix quickly with a wooden spoon, then your hands, to form a dough. Divide into 3 and knead a grated veg into each to make a courgette dough, a carrot dough and a beet dough. Form each into 6 rounds with floured hands. Arrange, spaced apart, on the baking tray, cover loosely with oiled cling film, and leave to rise somewhere warm for 30 mins.
- STEP 3
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Brush the tops with milk or egg, scatter with extra seeds and bake for 30-35 mins until the bases are pale golden and sound hollow when tapped. Cover with a tea towel and leave to cool a bit – this will keep them soft.