- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
Slow-cooked, pot-roasted vegetables develop a sweet flavour and soft texture, lovely with braised beef
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ small celeriac , cut into 2cm dice
- 300g squash , cut into 2cm wedges
- 150g baby turnip , halved, or 1-2 small turnips, cut into small wedges
- 150g butternut squash , deseeded and cut into 2cm dice
- 3 carrots , cut into 2cm dice
- 2 parsnips , quartered, cores removed, cut into 2cm dice
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Melt the butter in a large heavy-based frying pan. Add all the vegetables (or do this in 2 batches if necessary rather than overcrowd the pan) and a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then sweat them on a medium heat for 5 mins.
- STEP 2
Transfer the veg to a large roasting tin, pour in 150ml water, cover with foil, then roast for about 2 hrs or until meltingly tender but still holding their shape. Taste and correct the seasoning.