Haricot beans with sausage & pancetta
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus soaking overnight
- More effort
- Serves 4 - 6
- 350g dried haricot bean , soaked overnight in cold water
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 bouquet garni (we used thyme, bay leaves and parsley stalks)
- 2 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 2 sage sprigs
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 125g pancetta , cut into thin lardons
- 200g Toulouse sausages
- 4-6 confit duck leg , bought or homemade (see recommended recipe below)
- small handful flat-leaf parsley , finely chopped
- STEP 1
Drain and rinse the soaked beans, then put them in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add the vegetables, herbs, olive oil and pancetta and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 hr, or until the beans are soft. Add the whole sausages and simmer for a further 12-15 mins until cooked through. Drain off the excess liquid, discarding the whole carrot and sage sprigs. The beans should have the texture of a thick soup. Remove the sausages, slice and return to the beans.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6. Remove the confit duck legs from their fat. Put an ovenproof frying pan on the stove until it is hot. Add the duck legs, skin-side down, and cook for 4 mins. Turn the legs and transfer the pan to the oven for 30 mins, until crisp.
- STEP 3
Stir the chopped parsley into the beans with some seasoning, then pour into shallow bowls and sit a piece of duck on top.