Fish pie with swede & potato topping
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in about 1¼ hours
- Serves 4
- 500g floury potato , cut into chunks
- 1medium swede (weighing about 600g/1lb 5oz), cut into chunks
- 200g tub low-fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 4 tsp cornflour , blended with 2 tbsp cold water
- 650g skinless, boneless cod , cut into large chunks
- 100g cooked peeled prawn
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- STEP 1
Cook the potatoes and swede in boiling water until tender (about 20 minutes).
- STEP 2
Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5/fan 170C.While the potatoes and swede cook, put the soft cheese and stock into a large saucepan and heat gently, stirring with a wooden spoon, until blended and smooth. Now add the blended cornflour and cook until thick.
- STEP 3
Stir the fish into the sauce with the prawns and parsley. Season with some pepper.
- STEP 4
Tip the mixture into a 1.5 litre/2¾ pint baking dish. Drain the potatoes and swede, mash them well and season with black pepper. Spoon the mash over the fish to cover it completely. Bake for 25-30 minutes until piping hot, then transfer to a hot grill for a few minutes to brown the top. Serve with frozen peas or sweetcorn.