Bramley & blackberry tray cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 175g butter , plus extra for greasing
- 300g plain flour , plus extra for dusting
- 4 Bramley apples , (approx 800g/1lb 12oz)
- squeeze lemon juice
- 284ml carton whipping cream
- 225g golden caster sugar , plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling
- 3 eggs
- 300g blackberry
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Grease a roasting tin (30x20cm) with butter, dust with a little flour, then set aside. Peel, core and slice the apples into rings, then toss in a little lemon juice to stop them going brown.
- STEP 2
Tip the cream and butter into a saucepan, bring up to the boil, then set aside. Whisk the sugar with the eggs until they thicken and turn pale, about 3 mins. Whisk the buttery cream into the eggs, then fold in the flour until completely smooth.
- STEP 3
Pour the batter into the prepared tin and arrange the apple slices over the top. Scatter over the blackberries, then sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Bake for 50 mins-1 hr until golden and beginning to pull away from the sides of the tin. Leave to cool in the tin and serve cut into squares.