- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg , beaten with about 2 tbsp water
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 heaped tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- a large handful of frozen peas (about 85g/3oz)
- 250g leftover cold cooked rice (any type) or a 250g pouch of ready cooked rice
- 175g cooked chicken or pork , shredded into strips
- a good splash of soy sauce
- STEP 1
Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a highish heat. Pour in the beaten egg, swoosh it around the pan and leave it to set for a minute. Flip it over like a pancake and let it cook for a minute more on the otherside, then tip it out flat on to a plate.
- STEP 2
Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Tip in the onion and sizzle for 3-4 minutes until it’s starting to brown, then stir in the garlic, curry powder and ketchup. Add the peas and cook for a minute or two until they start to defrost. Tip in the rice, cooked meat and a glass of water (100ml/31⁄2fl oz) and cook over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring as you go, until everything’s piping hot and the rice has taken on the colour of the curry powder.
- STEP 3
While your rice is frying, shred the omelette into long strips. Toss the omelette and soy sauce through the rice and cook for a moment more. Scoop the rice on to plates straight from the pan and serve with extra soy sauce for sprinkling over.