Leerdammer bread pudding
Member recipe by isobelstorm
This is a great, economical family supper. You can vary it by adding peas or for a meaty version try bacon, ham or sliced cooked sausages.
- 250g crusty white bread
- 15g butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 leek finely sliced
- 100g frozen sweetcorn
- 100g small mushrooms, sliced
- 75g Leerdammer Mature cheese grated
- 4 eggs
- 400 ml milk
- Salt and black pepper
- Set the oven to 180c / 160c fan oven / gas mark 4.
- Cut off the crusts from the bread, then cut the bread into 3cm chunks. Melt the butter with the oil in a small frying pan and fry the chopped onion for 3 to 4 minutes until tender.
- Add the leeks and fry for another minute or so. Add the sweetcorn and mushrooms to the pan and stir well for just a minute or so until the mushrooms are softened.
- Place a spoonful of the vegetable mixture into four individual 200ml baking dishes; scatter over a little cheese then the bread, top with more vegetables and cheese so everything is tumbled together.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and pour on the milk and season well.
- Pour over the bread mixture then bake for 15 minutes until set. Serve hot from the oven with a green salad.