Member recipe by sarah_clk
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Loave
The easiest recipe to use up ripe/brown bananas, low in fat but delicious!
- 50g margarine
- 125g light or dark brown sugar (I use 50/50)
- 1 large egg
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed (I sometimes bake them in the preheating oven in their skins to soften and deepen the flavour)
- 200g self rasing flour
- 1tsp cinnamon or mixed spice (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Splash of milk
- Preheat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Grease and line a loaf tin
- In a large bowl beat the sugar and butter together using a wooden spoon until combined and smooth.
- Add the egg, vanilla and mashed banana and beat again for 1 minute.
- Fold in the sifted flour and cinnamon (or mixed spice if using.) Beat mixture with your wooden spoon until combined. Add a splash of milk if the mixture is too stiff, you want a dropping consistency.
- Spoon mixture in to a loaf tin and bake for 45min - 1 hour or until a knife pushed in to the centre comes out clean.
- Dust with icing sugar then eat warm or cold... store in an airtight container. Best eaten within 3-4 days.