Tasty African Rice Salad
Member recipe by natashachamberlin
This is a well known rice salad from Zimbabwe. I am Zimbabwean but moved to England in 2001. This dish is very popular there and very loved. I have made this dish quite a few times for my friends and family here in England and they all love it that they have even asked for the recipe. I hope you will find this recipe to be as enjoyable as too.
- 2 cups of rice
- 10 Frankfurters / hot dog sausage sliced into rings
- 2 large tomatos chopped
- 2 whole spring onions (including green bits) chopped finely
- 1 Shallot chopped finely
- 100g chopped button mushrooms
- 1 cup of peas cooked
- 300g sweet corn
- Half a cucumber chopped into little squares
- 150g olives
- 12 rashes of bacon cooked and then sliced into small strips
- 2 gherkins chopped finely
- 1 green pepper chopped finely
- 1 red pepper chopped finely
- 1 yellow pepper chopped finely
- 1 orange pepper chopped finely
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- Black Pepper / freshly ground is best
- 250g Mayonnaise though can add more if you too dry
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tbs of vinegar
- First place the mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper into a small bowl and mix well.
- Now put all of the other ingredients into a large bowl. Add the mayo mixture to the bowl with all the other ingredients and stir in well. Keep in the fridge for a good hour before serving, as it tastes so much better when chilled.
- This salad goes very well with cold meats and other salads such as a crisp garden salad, potato salad, coleslaw and carrot salad. This salad is also great to have with a bbq.
- If there is any ingredient that you do not like then just leave it out.