Stuffed Cypriot Chicken
Member recipe by jordangenevieve
- small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- small bunch fresh basil
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100g feta cheese
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 x 180g chicken breasts, skin on and bone in if possible
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Pile the parsley, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, with a drizzle of their oil and a pinch of pepper onto a chopping board. Crush or grate over 2 cloves of garlic before finely chopping everything together.Crumble over the feta and the lemon zest and mix again.
- Line up the chicken breasts, skin side down. Use a small knife to carefully fold back the fillets and cut a little pocket in each one, slitting and cutting down until you can open each breast out like a book.
- Divide the filling into the middle of each chicken breast, pat it down, and then fold the chicken back over to cover. Use the rosemary sprigs to thread through the open side of the chicken. This will keep the chicken breasts closed and prevent the filling from spilling out, making handling much easier.
- Add 2 glugs of olive oil to the empty frying pan. Using tongs, lay the chicken, skin side down, in the pan. Scrunch up a sheet of greaseproof paper under the tap. Flatten it out and tuck over the chicken. Leave to cook, shaking the pan every now and then.
- When the first side of the chicken is browned up nicely, take off the greaseproof paper and turn the chicken breasts around carefully. Replace the greaseproof paper before putting a heavy pan on top of the chicken to push it down and help it crisp up.
- Transfer the golden chicken to a serving board, pouring over the juices from the pan.