How to make a basic soup that you can adapt to the ingredients you have.
Points to remember
- Fry ingredients that need to be softened before simmering with stock (such as onions, garlic, spices) in enough oil until soft. Add main vegetables and add enough hot stock just to cover them.
- Bring to the boil then simmer until the veg is tender.
- Blend as required, using a handblender or carefully pouring into a worktop blender. Season well.
- Be careful when blending hot liquids - they can splash back onto you if the blender is used incorrectly.
- If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock, water, milk or cream and blend again to recombine.
- The soup can be cooled, stored in the fridge for up to two days and then reheated (try not to boil it).