- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 4 lean smoked back bacon rashers, chopped and rind removed
- 6 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 700g new potato, thickly sliced
New potatoes have thin, wispy skins and a crisp, waxy texture. They are young potatoes and…
- 250g asparagus spear, trimmed and diagonally sliced (keep tips whole)
- 225ml dry fruity cider (or ½ a can)
Cider is an alcoholic beverage made from the fermented juice of apples. Apple orchards were…
- 1 tbsp cornflour, blended with a little water
- 250ml carton Soya Dream
- 2 tbsp chopped flatleaf parsley
Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the bacon for 5 mins on a medium heat until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the chicken to the pan, then lightly fry for 4-5 mins to brown on both sides (you may need to brown the chicken in two batches if your pan is not large enough).
Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water for 10 mins or until tender. Cook the asparagus in a steamer over the potatoes for 6-8 mins or microwave in a covered dish with 2 tbsp water for 4-5 mins.
Pour the cider over the chicken, bring to the boil then reduce heat. Put the bacon back in the pan and simmer for 10-15 mins until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the cornflour paste until lightly thickened, then add the Soya Dream and season. Stir in the drained vegetables and sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
Soya Dream is a UHT dairy-free alternative to cream widely sold in larger supermarkets. You'll find it with other long-life milks or dessert products.