Carrot, Chicken & Barley Soup
Member recipe by mustardcomms
The next time youre having a roast chicken, this soup is the ideal thing for the next day. Use the chicken bones to make delicious fresh chicken stock, the last bits of chicken meat and any leftover vegetables like potatoes or peas - all can be stirred in. Pearl barley thickens the soup and makes it really hearty too. Its a delicious, warming soup for any time of year.
- 15ml/1tbsp vegetable oil
- 450g/1lb carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1.2lt/2 pt chicken stock
- 75g/3oz pearl barley
- 175g/6oz cooked chicken, broken into bite sized chunks
- 175g/6oz cooked potatoes, chopped
- 100g/4oz cooked vegetables such as peas, broccoli, or green beans
- 1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the carrots and leek, then saute over a medium heat for 4 mins. Add the stock, pearl barley, chicken and potatoes and season well.
- 2. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20-25 mins or until the pearl barley and carrots are tender. Stir in the cooked vegetables, return to the boil and simmer for 1 min. Stir in the parsley and season to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…