Devonshire Apple Traybake
Member recipe by fetchgirl
- 450g cooking apples
- Juice og 1/2 lemon
- 350g self-raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 350g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1tsp almond essence
- 225g butter, melted
- A generous scattering of shredded, flaked or chopped almonds
- Caster sugar, to sprinkle
- Pre-heat the oven to 180'C/Gas mark 4. Grease and base line a 12 x 9inch (30x23cm) roasting tin with greased greaseproof paper.
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apples and squeeze the lemon juice over them.
- Measure the flour, baking powder and sugar into a large bowl. Beat the eggs together with the almond essence and stir into the flour with the melted butter. Mix well, then spread half this mixture into the tin. Arrange the apples over the top of the cake mixture. Carefully top with the rest of the mixture; don't worry if the apples show through a little. Sprinkle over the almonds.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 1 1/4 hours or until the cake is golden, firm to the touch and slightly shrunk away from the sides of the tin. Leave to cool for 15 minutes and then turn out and remove the paper. Sprinkle over the caster sugar and serve warm with cream or fromage frais.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…