Points to remember
- Chop the top off the onion and cut in half leaving the root attached
- Peel the skin away, discarding the brown layers, until you are left with the white onion halves
- Make 2 or 3 horizontal cuts into the first onion half, then cut down vertically, holding the onion together as you chop
- Repeat with the other half.
- Turn the onion so the flat end is facing the knife and chop downwards with a slicing motion to create a finely chopped onion
- When you get to the end turn the onion on its side and cut again to finish