- 250g shelled broad bean (about 1kg/2lb 4oz before podding)
A member of the legume family, broad beans are pretty hardy and adaptable - they grow in most…
- 200g French beans or string beans, topped and tailed
- 100g drained, canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 140g cherry tomatoes, halved
A member of the nightshade family (along with aubergines, peppers and chillies), tomatoes are in…
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
Most closely associated with Mediterranean cooking but also very prevalent in Asian food, the…
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
There are several types of mint, each with its own subtle difference in flavour and appearance.…
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
For the dressing
Want to see what this recipe costs at different supermarkets? Compare in one place here:
Cook the broad beans in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Drain, rinse under the cold tap and peel off the skins. Simmer the French beans in salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes, until just cooked. Drain, rinse, then cut into 2.5cm lengths.
Mix the beans in a large bowl with the chickpeas, tomatoes and herbs.
To make the dressing, whisk the lemon juice with the sugar, tomato purée and salt and pepper, then gradually whisk in the olive oil. Pour over the salad and toss together. Serve at room temperature.