Member recipe by easter_blizzard
I found this recently, and am just going to give it a go this weekend.
- 400g raw beetroot
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/4 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 green chillies, seeded and cut into fine strips
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 100ml coconut milk
- 1 Lime, juice
- Peel the beetroot and cut into matchsticks. Heat the oil in a wok or saucepan, then add the mustard seeds. As soon as they begin to jump, add the onion, garlic and chillies and fry until the onion is tender. Add the remaining spices and beetroot; fry for a further 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, 250ml water and a pinch of salt.
- Leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the beetroot is tender. Stir in the coconut milk, and let it simmer for another 1-2 minutes, until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the lime juice, taste, adjust the seasoning and serve.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…