Points to remember
- Sprinkle some greaseproof paper with a couple of tablespoons of caster sugar.
- Flip the sponge onto the greaseproof paper and peel away the backing paper from the sponge.
- Score a line along the bottom of the sponge, approximately 1 inch/2½cm away from the edge.
- Using the line scored, pull the paper towards you and start to roll keeping the sponge tight.
- Once the sponge is cool, unroll it gently. Spoon the jam filling evenly over the surface of the sponge leaving a 1½ inch gap from the edges.
- Spoon the cream onto the jam and spread with a palette knife.
- Push the paper towards you and ease the sponge over the filling. Roll all the way to the end then turn over to seal the filling.