- 1 thick slice crusty white bread
- 1½ tsp wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- 2 thin slices ham, trimmed of fat
- 50g mature cheddar or other melting cheese, grated
- ½ tsp cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mild olive oil, plus a little for frying
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1 egg
The ultimate convenience food, eggs are powerhouses of nutrition, packed with protein and a…
- handful baby-leaf spinach from 100g bag
Used in almost every cuisine across the world, spinach is an enormously popular green vegetable…
- few cornichons (optional)
Heat grill to high and lightly toast the bread on both sides. Spread 1 tsp mustard over one side, then top with the ham and cheese. Whisk the remaining mustard and vinegar with 1 tsp oil and seasoning.
Grill the croque for 3 mins, or until the cheese is bubbling and turning golden. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan. Add a little oil, then crack in the egg and gently fry to your liking. When cooked, lift it on top of the toast. Toss the dressing with the spinach, and cornichons if using, then eat straight away.
Use up the spinach: Fast spinach soup for one
Finely chop 2 spring onions and 1 small garlic clove, then soften in a knob of butter for 3 mins. Add 1 floury potato, grated and 150ml each milk and stock, then simmer for 5 mins. Add the remaining spinach from the bag, stir until wilted, then whizz until smooth with a stick blender. Season and serve.