Member recipe by carolynjill
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Muffins
- "Dry" ingredients
- 120g (1 cup) wholemeal or white flour
- 140g (1 cup) white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sodium bicarbonate
- 1 tsp spices/citrus peel (optional)
- 60-90g (1/2 - 3/4 cup) chopped nuts/raisins/dates/other dried fruit/choc.chips/coconut (optional)
- "Wet" ingredients
- 1 medium egg
- 140g (3/4 cup) brown or white sugar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable/sunflower oil OR
- 125g (1/2 cup) soft butter/marg
- 250g (1 cup) buttermilk/yoghurt/milk/soured cream
- 250g (1 1/2 cup) fruit (fresh or frozen - not defrosted!) (optional)
- Take "fridge" ingredients out of fridge. Preheat oven to 180C. Put 12 paper cases in a muffin tray, or 18 into bun trays.
- Mix "dry" ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a larger bowl, beat the egg lightly and then add the rest of the "wet" ingredients, except for fruit.
- Stir the dry ingredients carefully into the wet ingredients, until the whole mixture is moist, but still lumpy! Finally, stir the fruit in carefully (if used).
- Put in paper cases as fast as possible and bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…