Som Tam - Hot Thai Salad
Member recipe by littleladyjojo
- 200g/7oz Green Papaya (Peeled and Thinly Sliced)
- 10 Small Green Chillies (or to Taste, but a few more than you might think)
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Long Beans (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 tbsp/15ml Anchovy Sauce (I use a tin of Anchovy fillets, drained)
- 5g/1 tbsp Dried Shrimps (I have never used these in mine)
- 2 tbsp/30ml Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp/30 ml Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp/10g Palm Sugar (I use regular)
- Chop the main veg/salad ingredients into bite size pieces, and very thinly slice the chilli and garlic.
- Add a small mix of several of the ingredients to a pestle and mortar, and gently bruise the ingredients to release the flavours into each other. Empty into serving bowl, and repeat until you have the required amount of salad for guests. Add the liquid ingredients and the sugar and toss together.
- Alternative - Use Cucumber, Cashew Nuts and Beansprouts.
- Tip - I make this really substantial by using Cucumber, Cashew nuts and Bean Sprouts as well as the original ingredients.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…